We take pride in preparing girls for 21st century life and our learning environment is a vital part of delivering our vision for education.
Senior School development plan
St Mary's School has a long history in Bateman Street, which has been home to our Senior School for 118 years.
We have created a master plan which seeks to redevelop and extend our current buildings, with the key aim of improving facilities for our girls, rather than increasing student numbers.
Our plan prioritises the refurbishment of existing facilities. Where re-working established buildings is not feasible, we have explored opportunities to create new accommodation.
Working with van Heyningen and Haward Architects we have developed a scheme which comprises:
Project 1 - Refurbishment on Bateman Street
- Internal re-configuration to create larger classrooms
- New classroom extension and improved teaching spaces
- Improved accessibility
- Increased public space and improved landscaping
- Reception relocated and extended to increase visibility of the entrance
Project 2 - New Creative Arts Hub
- Additional teaching space behind No.47 Bateman Street (our current Arts Centre)
- Provision for teaching art, textiles, resistant materials and food technology
- Imaginative, eco-friendly design (Passivhaus)
The consultation period for this scheme is now open, following a public meeting on 8 October 2019 at St Mary's School.
Plans for the proposed scheme can be downloaded below. A planning application will be made to Cambridge City Council by Christmas 2019, with a view to commencing construction of the first phase in spring 2020.
If you have any comments or ideas regarding the scheme, please download a feedback form and follow the instructions on how to submit your comments to St Mary's School by 22 October 2019.
Download the plans
Download a feedback form